Depression can often be difficult to fight as it usually drains you of your energy. And though you can’t overcome it by willpower alone, you still have some control, no matter how you feel. The suggestions below can help you with this.
1. Keep doing the activities you previously enjoyed (even if you don’t enjoy them as much when you’re depressed).
2. Try and build some exercise into your day as it releases endorphins – the body’s “feel good” hormones.
3. Know what your triggers and your risk factors are. For example, loneliness, stress, disappointment and pain are common triggers and risk factors for depression.
4. Stay in touch with your friends. Often those who are depressed start to isolate themselves – but that leads to loneliness - which makes depression worse.
5. Try and maintain some kind of routine, especially when it comes to getting up and going to bed. Taking naps in the daytime can cause insomnia and leave you feeling drained, so you have no energy.
6. Try to get a handle on how much you tend to worry. Take note of your thought patterns; don’t dwell on negatives. Instead, challenge faulty thinking so it’s much less pessimistic … and try to be thankful … and look for positives.
7. Make sure you do things that make you feel more relaxed. Often people who’re depressed feel uptight and agitated. So it’s important that you find things that help you to relax.
8. Resist the temptation to self-medicate (especially through alcohol or substance abuse.) That will lead to greater problems - and make you feel much worse.
9. Seek out support. Talk to a good friend, or someone that you trust. You’ll usually find there’s someone who genuinely cares.
10. Talk to your doctor. It may be medication is the answer for you so don’t be afraid to try and get professional help.
Great post, important post.
- hollylove26 reblogged this from saarabeara
- rabanusvanbirkenheid likes this
- calculate-and-calibrate likes this
- dragonwrangler likes this
- bassooooooooon reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- bassooooooooon likes this
- sofuckingclassy likes this
- captainschmoop reblogged this from homoerotics
- icaro13 likes this
- residualmass reblogged this from harleybert
- broken-w-i-n-g-s reblogged this from of-meat-and-mayo
- broken-w-i-n-g-s likes this
- of-meat-and-mayo reblogged this from melodramatic-f00ls
- technopsych reblogged this from harleybert
- tastelikepurple likes this
- icecream-omma reblogged this from melodramatic-f00ls
- icecream-omma likes this
- melodramatic-f00ls reblogged this from harleybert
- melodramatic-f00ls likes this
- shayneighnay likes this
- harleybert reblogged this from fuckthisimaunicorn
- sydis likes this
- bird-with-no-horizon reblogged this from psych-facts
- isntgoodbyeyet likes this
- letsgoouttonight likes this
- stirringthecauldronoffabulous reblogged this from psych-facts
- kelseysboy likes this
- korrayptonite likes this
- crayolaclouds13 likes this
- ocean-pulse reblogged this from 6feetunderthestarz
- 6feetunderthestarz reblogged this from euglassia--watsonia
- apexxx reblogged this from akikoxkee
- silentstargazer reblogged this from psych-facts
- danyfarette likes this
- hellsvoid likes this
- last0name0rosa reblogged this from psych-facts
- beautyroxie likes this
- neorockett likes this
- 19thsentry likes this
- shylonelycat reblogged this from theblankenthusiast
- the-sj-han reblogged this from 138-8purpose
- the-sj-han likes this
- 138-8purpose reblogged this from psych-facts
- hopelessromantic reblogged this from psych-facts
- vamos-a-reirnos reblogged this from annavfox and added:
- cooltutor reblogged this from arguewithatree
- triplegatsby likes this
- lasleepyhead likes this